Teens' healthy tipsSunday, July 15, 2012 12:00 AM Views : 241Journal Online
WHAT you eat affects your mood and your skin. You can also enhance your beauty by incorporating certain skin care products, natural remedies and cleansing methods into your routine.
Teenagers or adolescents also experience some health dilemmas especially skin problems which include acne and rashes. Teens should observe healthy lifestyle and proper diet.
* Food. Most teenagers find junk foods as tasty and healthy snack especially when stressed in school and loaded with assignments and projects.
Avoid foods that are not beneficial to health like chips, canned foods, cookies and other junk foods. Many processed packaged foods contain too much sugar or salt and little or no nutrition. Some junk foods are also high in calories and fat as well. Completely avoid these types of foods.
Instead, eat whole fruits and vegetables such as spinach, broccoli, apples and bananas. There is a wide range of healthy foods from which to choose.
* Healthy switch. Instead of chomping on burgers and hotdogs, teach them to eat food rich in Omega-3 which are beneficial for healthy hair, skin and nails. These good fats also help improve heart and brain health, making omega-3s a beneficial beauty treat. Cod liver oil and eggs are among the food loaded with omega-3. Taking omega-3 supplements is especially helpful for teens who suffer from dry hair and skin because the fats lubricate the body on the inside.
* Coconut oil. Coconut oil is rich in omega-3 fats and other lipids which nourish and hydrate your skin and hair. Apply a dime-sized amount of coconut oil to your lashes each night before bed to encourage growth and softness. You can also apply coconut oil to your body instead of lotion. Rub the oil on the soles or feet to prevent cracked heels, and apply coconut oil to your hair as a deep conditioning treatment. Apply 1/2 cup of coconut oil to dry hair once per month and leave on for 20 minutes. Rinse and wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner.
* Sleep. Most teens need eight or more hours of sleep a night to remain healthy. Lack of sleep can cause mood swings, depression and other health problems. Avoid drinking caffeine or watching TV at night. Read a book to help the mind wind down.
* Cleansers and acne products. Avoid harsh cleansers that contain chemicals, because these ingredients can strip your skin of essential moisture. Instead, buy cleansers made with natural ingredients such as raw honey, black soap, tea tree oil and neem oil.